Accommodation Guide

Caseworker image

Translated information: Chinese (PDF) | Korean (PDF)

NSW Tenants Union - New Renters Kit

Choosing your home

Consider the following when choosing your home:

COST – You should not be paying more than 50% of your income on rent.

LOCATION – Check how long your commute to Uni is, and if needed, is there safe, free parking nearby. Factor in the cost and time taken to travel, when deciding what you can afford. Spend some time in the area to see how loud the passing planes or what effect roadworks may have.

CONDITION – Inspect the home, looking for things like rodents or pests (look at the inside edges of the kitchen cupboard doors for cockroach poo and small holes in the bottom of walls or cupboards), mould, water pressure, temperature, and general cleanliness of the home.


There are lots of housing scams designed to steal money. Do not sign an agreement or transfer money without inspecting the property, and always get a receipt, not just an electronic bank transfer record. Remember that if a deal seems too good to be true, it is probably a scam.

Bonds and deposits

Residential Tenants (usually people who don’t live in the same home as their landlord) will usually pay a bond of no more than the equivalent of 4 weeks rent. It is meant to be kept by the NSW Rental Bond Board, and you should receive a receipt within a couple of weeks of moving in. Deposits (like a bond for other types of renters) have no rules, so make sure you keep a copy of the receipt. Your bank statement will not always be considered a receipt. Housing NSW has a scheme called Rentstart Bond Loan, to help low income earners ($680 per week or less) afford to live in a rental property. They will give you 75% of your bond as an interest free loan. Conditions include being an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and having rent of less than 50% of the household’s income. The University also has interest free loans that you might be able to use.


Never sign a blank form or a document you have not read and understood. Pay special attention to what the penalties will be if you leave the home before your contract is finished. Take a photo or scan the document after you sign it, and email it to yourself so you don’t lose it. Make sure you know the full legal name for the landlord and have an address to contact them, just in case you need to go to the tribunal.

Condition report and photos

Before you move in to your home take photos of anything that is dirty, broken, or damaged. Email those photos to yourself so they are time stamped. Your phone can put a timestamp on your photos, but the tribunal prefer emails. Some renters will be given a condition report at the beginning of the tenancy, which outlines what condition you need to have the property in when you move out. Take the time to complete the condition report thoroughly, noting everything that is dirty or broken, and return it within seven days, as this will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you do not get a condition report take photos of anything that is dirty or damaged, and email them to yourself.

While you are living there, contact your landlord by email to have a written record. If you talk on the phone, email them a follow up summary of what you talked about. Report anything that needs repairing, even if you don’t mind if it is repaired or not, so that there is a record of you taking care of the home.

When you move out, take photos of every wall, floor, oven, bathtub, sinks, windows etc., and email them to yourself, to prove that you did not damage anything.

Notice of moving out

If you are on a lease there are rules about the amount of notice you have to give, or your landlord has to give, for you to move out. E.g., if you simply want to move when your lease finishes you must give written notice of 14 days for fixed term or 21 days for a continuing lease. If you have a contract there should be conditions listed in the contract. If you do not have a written lease or contract you can leave whenever you like, but it is usually polite to give notice of the same amount of time as your rent period, e.g., a fortnight.

Fleeing domestic and family violence

If you are fleeing domestic and family violence there are additional supports that might be available to you, including rehoming your pets. Talk to an SRC Caseworker for details.

Emergency or temporary accommodation

SRC Caseworkers may be able to help you with some (limited) temporary and emergency accommodation. Make an appointment by calling 9660 5222. If it is outside of business hours call Link2Home on 1800 152 152.

Free furniture etc.

Op Shops can provide cheap or free furniture and appliances. Visit affluent suburbs on their council clean up days for things they no longer want. Check Facebook groups for “street bounty” or “pay it forward” items.

Share housing

Share housing can be an experience that ranges from really fun and invigorating, through to a special type of hell. For tips on how to make the most out of your situation go to the Share Housing Survival Guide at

Here is a checklist of all the things you should check when moving into a new home.

1. Choosing your home:

  • Transport to Uni
  • Signs of pests or mould, water pressure, noise
  • What is included in the price (e.g., electricity, internet)

2. Before you move in:

  • What are the start and finish dates on lease/contract
  • What is the penalty for leaving early
  • Full legal name and address for the landlord
  • Condition report complete – take photos of any damage wear you see and include them
  • Take photos of any damage to the property and email it to yourself.
  • Store a digital copy of your agreement and all of your receipts (bond/deposit and rent). Email documents to yourself so they backed up in your emails.

While you are living there:

  • Communicate with landlord in writing via email for everything.
  • Follow up any phone conversation with the landlord or agent with an email outlining what was said or agreed to.

When you move out:

  • Take photos showing no damage before you move out to avoid being blamed for damage caused by new tennants
  • Submit bond claim form (leases only)

Need more help or advice?

If you need more advice about your specific situation, contact an SRC Caseworker by completing the contact form (below)

Caseworker Contact Form




You can also contact a specialist Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service. Google: Tenants.

Updated 02/03/23

Have a look at your representation


  • Autonomous Collective Against Racism (ACAR)

    ACAR is an autonomous space that organises around issues relating to people of colour, in activist and educational ways from a student perspective.

    Autonomous Collective Against Racism (ACAR)
  • Disabilities Collective and Caregivers Network

    The University of Sydney Disabilities Collective is an autonomous collective of the University of Sydney Students' Representative Council (SRC).

    Disabilities Collective and Caregivers Network
  • Education Action Group (EAG)

    The Sydney University Education Action Group (EAG) campaigns on education issues including fighting for free education and stopping course cuts.

    Education Action Group (EAG)
  • Enviro Collective

    The Enviro Collective, is the official environmental group of the SRC.

    Enviro Collective
  • First Nations Department

    We are a dedicated group of First Nations activists and allies at the University of Sydney.

    First Nations Department
  • Global Solidarity
    Global Solidarity
  • Intercampus
  • Interfaith
  • International Students Collective

    The International Students' Collective (ISC) is an SRC Collective that exists to represent and orgaanise around the interests of international students.

    International Students Collective
  • Mature age students
    Mature age students
Stay connected to the SRC

Keep up-to-date with everything going on within your Students' Representative Council and beyond!

Level 1, Wentworth Building G01,
University of Sydney,
174 City Road, Darlington NSW 2008
Phone: 02 9660 5222
Phone & online contact hours: Monday–Friday | 9am–5pm Office opening hours: Tuesday–Thursday | 9am–5pm* *excluding public holidays, May Day (May 1st) and the University Christmas Closure Period

Powered by MSL

© Copyright - Students' Representative Council, University of Sydney