Dear Abe,

What paperwork do I need to get when I’m renting a house? What do I need to keep a copy of?

JM (BSci)

Dear JM,

You should keep a copy of your lease/contract; your condition report (as well as any photos you took of things that were dirty or damaged when you moved in); and receipts for all money paid (bond, rent, etc). Email these documents and photos to yourself, so you always have a copy, which is timestamped. When you move out of that home, you will be able to refer to your lease/contract and condition report with photos, to make sure you get your bond returned.


For more information see:
Accommodation Guide
Accommodation Checklist