Finding Good Accommodation
Lots of people want to rent in Sydney. To find good accommodation quickly it may help to show landlords/real estate agents the following:
- Confirmation of Enrolment to prove you are a student. Provide a copy and keep the original yourself.
- References from previous landlords to prove you are a good tenant who will pay rent on time and look after the accommodation. Try and have a written reference, if not provide an e-mail address for your old landlord.
- Proof you can pay rent. Eg. proof of a scholarship, income or money in the bank. You may show your bank account details or passport, but DO NOT give them a copy to keep.
Before signing a contract and/or paying a deposit
Have a written Residential Tenancy Agreement if possible. Always get some form of contract in writing.
- See the accommodation and make sure you are happy with it.
- Be sure what you get for your rent. Eg. Internet, heating.
- Know your responsibilities. Understand and agree with all conditions and house rules. If you want to change any rules ask the landlord before you sign the contract or pay a deposit. If there is a contract make sure any agreed changes are included. Penalties for breaking rules should be in the contract. Understand these.
- Know the end date of your stay. If you want to change the end date ask the landlord before you sign the contract or pay a deposit. If the landlord agrees, the new date should be written on the contract. If the end date cannot be changed, you must normally pay rent up to the end date on the contract or be subject to penalties. If there is no contract, you can give 1 week’s notice if you pay rent weekly, or 2 weeks notice if you pay rent fortnightly.
- Keep a copy of the Residential Tenancy Agreement or written contract.
- Always get receipts for the bond/deposit & any other payments you make.
- Make a condition report both when you move in and when you move out – record all contents & any damage in writing and take photos. Show the condition report to the landlord when you move in and move out.