When looking at a home:
- How do you get to uni from there?
- Are there signs of pests, e.g., cockroaches, mice?
- Is it noisy, e.g., aeroplanes, roadworks, pubs, neighbours?
- How is the water pressure?
- Is there mould?
- What is included in the price, e.g., internet, electricity, water usage?
Before signing a lease/contract or paying a deposit:
- What are the start and finish dates on the lease/contract?
- What is the penalty for leaving the accommodation before the finish date?
- Do you know the full legal name, address and phone number for the person you are renting from?
Before you move in:
- Take photos of any damage to the property and email it to yourself.
- Store a copy of your agreement and all of your receipts (bond/deposit and rent).
After you move in:
- Complete your section of the condition report (for leases only) and return to the landlord.
- Communicate with your landlord in writing and keep copies of all conversations.
Before moving out:
- Take photos of the whole house to show that you did not damage the property.
After moving out:
- After the final inspection submit your own bond claim form to Bond Board (without landlord/agent signature).
*** do not sign a blank bond claim form from your landlord/agent.***
If you need advice on understanding, negotiating or ending a contract, contact an SRC Caseworker. p: 9660 5222
You can also contact a specialist Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service. Google: Tenants.