2016 Report to come…
Welcome to the Queer Action Collective (QuAC)! We are a collective that works together to make University and the wider community a safer, more inclusive and generally better place for queer and questioning students. But wait, what do we mean by ‘Queer’? Well, it’s an umbrella term encompassing a diversity of gender, sex and sexual identities existing outside of socially normative categories. So under this large, rainbow umbrella, we shelter a community of people who identify as trans*, intersex, bi, pan, asexual, lesbian, gay, curious, questioning, and many more (there really is a diversity of identities). Brought together by marginalisation, we find strength and comfort in solidarity, and so we foster a caring queer community in which people can come to terms with their own identity in a safe space and stand together to fight for equality, visibility and social justice.
- We are an active collective, hosting and organising many activities and events throughout the year to build a strong, activist community. These include:
- A wide range of workshops: everything from crafternoons to info sessions/discussions on identity, sexuality, mental and sexual health
Social events such as movie nights, dance parties, picnics and board games
- We put together publications, notably Queer Honi
- We run campaigns throughout the year in order to raise awareness of the many issues faced by our community, and to enact social and political change at University and beyond
- Other key events that we are involved with include Queer Collaborations, a national queer student conference. We send delegates to this annual conference, which will be held in Canberra in July. We also host many events during the university’s Pride Week.
QuAC is a great way to get involved in Uni life and be a part of a community where you can meet people, make new friends and learn new skills. Our identity and direction as a collective are determined by all of our members, so if you have any ideas or just want to be involved, come along to our meetings!
QuAC meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 1pm in the Queerspace.
QuAC also has a sub-collective,
Queerkats, which aims to create a safer and welcoming space for people who are queer and who experience oppression on the basis of sex and/or gender (e.g. trans women, trans men, cis women, intersex people, non-binary people, brotherboys, sistergirls, etc).
Queerkats meetings are at 12pm on Thursdays, also in the Queerspace.