Hi Abe,

Earlier this semester I had to drop a couple of units after the census date because of some health problems. I managed to get a Discontinue not to count as fail (DC), but I don’t want to lose all that money on a unit that I didn’t actually do. Is there any way can ask for a refund or is the Uni going to keep my money?


Dear Strapped,

You can actually apply for a fee refund in your situation. Depending on whether you’re a domestic or international student, the process will be different.

You’ll need to provide documentation to explain why you had to drop the subjects after the DC deadline, and there is a 12 month time limit on your application. You will need to show that there were special circumstances (illness, injury or misadventure) that:

  • were beyond your control;
  • did not make their full impact on you until on or after the DC deadline; and
  • stopped you being able to complete the course requirements.

You can talk to a caseworker at the SRC for advice relevant to your specific situation – email help@src.usyd.edu.au or call 9660 5222 to make an appointment.