Lots of people experience stress and anxiety throughout their lives. When this affects your day-to-day activities, like being able to pass subjects at uni, being able to work, or have good relationships, it is a good idea to get some help. Counsellors (including psychologists) can help you to develop strategies to deal with the many different situations that you have in your life. They can be very expensive, but the SRC can recommend a few that will be cheap or free.

There is no shame to seeing a counsellor. If you are sick, you need help. There is no shame to having a broken leg, or the flu, and being mentally unwell is no different.

There are other resources that can provide support online or through your phone. eHeadspace has a free website that provides some online resources including articles, student forum groups, and information about one on one counselling.

There might be other things you can do to help your mental wellbeing. Some people find that exercise, meditation, yoga, music, and art can help. A healthy, balanced diet is also undeniably good for your mental health. Maybe you’ll benefit from being in the company of friends. The uni is a great place to meet new people, by talking to those in your classes, whether in person or online, or by joining one of the many clubs and societies.

If being unwell, mentally or physically, is causing you to fail assessments, you can apply for Special Consideration. You will need a Professional Practitioner’s Certificate (like a doctor’s certificate) on or before the day of your assessment, submitted no later than 3 days after the assessment. If you are too sick to get yourself to your doctor, consider calling a home doctor service – check the internet for details. Your illness will need to have “severely affected” you and have occurred over the period of time of your assignment due date. If you need help with this application, talk to an SRC caseworker. Late applications without a very good reason will generally not be considered, so make sure to apply on time.

The University also has a free Professional and confidential psychological and mental health service available through the Student Counseling Service

If you are feeling at risk of self harm contact Lifeline’s 24 hour crisis support service by calling 13 11 14 or having an online chat at www.lifeline.org.au. Alternatively, you can also talk to a GP or counsellor, or one of the many community organisations that are here to help you. No matter what your situation is, you deserve to feel well and happy.