The Indigenous Games are fast approaching and we have a team ready to travel all the way to no-man’s-land at the UWS on the 22nd September (week 9). We have one of our last fundraising events for the upcoming Games on Thursday 22nd August on Eastern Ave so get in early for the best BBQ in Cadigal Country.
On a side note our Society, Gamarada, will soon have its name changed to Wirriga. Wirriga is than name of the goanna that travelled across the Blue Mountains during the Dreamtime and dug out its burrow in what is now known today as Sydney Harbour.
Our Society’s main goals are to:
- Increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people actively wanting to continue their studies.
- Encourage and support people who are passionate about making a change in this University’s attitude towards Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Make a change in attitude towards Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people both in the University and in the wider community.
- Involve ourselves in events in the community outside the University.
- Create a much stronger presence in the University of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and culture.
- Host any event by the students concerning Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Eventually raise funds to support at least 2 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students throughout their University career.
The Society will be hosting a Gala Dinner during Reconciliation Week in 2014 in the company of Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO, Governor of New South Wales. Tickets will be on sale further towards the end of this semester.