What documents will you need for special consideration, DC, or showing good cause

When you apply for special consideration, apply for a discontinue not fail (DC) grade, or show good cause, you need to provide documentation that supports your claim. This can be one of many different types of documents depending on what your situation is.

Professional Practitioner’s Certificate (PPC)
The PPC is the main document you could provide. This is the Uni’s version of a medical certificate. It shows the date you met with the doctor, counsellor, or other practitioner, the dates that you were affected, and how severely you were affected. It asks what your illness was, but there is an option for you to say that your illness is of a confidential nature. The Uni is more interested in the types of things that your illness made you unable to do. For example, you were not able to attend classes, or you were unable to complete written assignments, or you were unable to sleep which made you unable to concentrate.

Statutory Declaration
This is a document you can get a family member, friend, or other person to write for you on a downloadable government form. It is a statement where they give the details of the misadventure you experienced, written from their point of view based on what they have observed. Statutory Declarations are not as meaningful as other documents, so only use them in conjunction with other documents, e.g., a death certificate, or as a last resort.

Student Declaration
In April 2020 the University introduced the Student Declaration, as isolation and lockdown made it difficult to meet with doctors and counsellors to get a PPC, or find a Justice of the Peace to get a statutory declaration witnessed. The Uni is phasing these out, so avoid using them if possible.

Police Report
If you experienced a misadventure that involved the Police, you may be able to provide a Police Report as your supporting document. However, Police Reports are relatively difficult to get, especially within a few days of the incident. Instead, you could mention the Police Event Number in a statutory declaration, together with the name of the officer you dealt with and the station they were from.

False Documents
It is relatively easy to buy false documents online. This is usually in the form of a medical certificate or a PPC. It is also relatively easy to alter a genuine PPC so that the dates apply to a particular assignment. However, it is highly likely that the University will discover this fraud and you will likely be suspended from your studies. If you are so desperate that you are considering doing this, talk to an SRC Caseworker about other options available. Failing a subject is significantly better than being suspended from your studies. Some students who previously bought false documents online found that the people they bought it from started blackmailing them, threatening to tell the University, their families, and their future employers about their deceit. If you are experiencing this, talk to an SRC Caseworker.