Hey Abe,

I paid a two-week holding deposit on a rental property. Now the agent says the landlord wants to sell and showed me another property in the same block which I don’t like. I have asked for my deposit back but they only want to return one week’s holding deposit. Is this legal?


Daphne Deposit-back-please.

Hi Daphne Deposit-back-please,

The agent must return the deposit back to you as the property you paid it for is no longer available. You can apply to the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) to get your full deposit back.