Dear Abe,

I just broke up with my girlfriend and I simply do not feel like I can write the essay that’s due on Friday. I’ve seen my doctor and he said that I just needed to concentrate on my assignment and not worry about romance. Without a doctor’s certificate I cannot apply for Special Consideration, but I really don’t think I can get the assignment in on time.

Sad and Single

Dear Sad and Single,

I am sorry the doctor did not take your distress seriously. Please do talk to someone, e.g., a counsellor, if you find your circumstance negatively effecting aspects of your life. As you said, without a Professional Practitioner’s Certificate it is unlikely you would be successful in a Special Consideration application, however, you may be able to apply for a Simple Extension.

Simple Extensions are an informal arrangement between a student and the subject coordinator, where a student can be given two extra days to complete an assignment. Often that is enough for you to take a breath and settle your thoughts before launching in to an assignment. Talk to your subject coordinator about this.