Hi Abe,

I need some financial help. I already get Youth Allowance (live at home rate), but it’s not really enough to cover all my textbooks and living costs. I’m worried about the pressure that I’m putting on my parents and younger brother and sister. Can you tell me if there’s some other way I can get a University loan or get the higher rate from Centrelink?

Financially Challenged

Hi Financially Challenged,

I’m sorry to hear about your struggle. It is certainly not uncommon. There are a few things you can do.

Look for secondhand textbooks or e-textbooks online or ask friends. If you lecturer tells you to buy the latest edition ask if the older edition will do.

The University has a Scholarships office with information on a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards. There are a few community scholarships available that SRC Caseworkers can tell you about. The University can also offer you interest free loans.

For more hints on food, health and entertainment, look at the SRC’s Living on Little Money leaflet.