Ask Abe: Subletting your room

Dear Abe,
I’m going away at the end of the semester for four weeks, and need to rent out my room to help me pay for my holiday. Is there anything I need to know about what I can and can’t do, and do you have any tips for how to get someone in.

Looking for air in my b&b.

Dear Looking for air in my b&b,
Most lease agreements state that you need written permission from the landlord to sublet your house. I am unclear about whether subletting just your room would be illegal or not. If you do decide to go ahead with your plan, there are many facebook pages and websites that you can use to advertise your room for free. It would be a good idea to ask the person for a deposit for any damage and check their references. Any damage that they do to the house will be your responsibility.


The SRC can help with tenancy and accommodation issues. See our online guide or call us.