ASK ABE: Fare Allowance to travel home

Hi Abe,

A friend from my home town says that people at their uni can travel back home for the holiday break for free on the trains. Do you know anything about that?

North Coast

Hi North Coast,

If you are on a Youth Allowance dependent (away from home) payment or if you are part of a Centrelink couple where you have to live away from the family home because of study Centrelink will give you a “Fare Allowance”. This is a reimbursement (you pay first) of the cheapest and most practical mode of transport to and from your family home. You’re entitled to this payment for each semester of study you attempt.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply